Cleaning your cat’s litter box may seem like the most horrible thing ever. It’s time-consuming and smelly. Yuck! However, with a kitty litter scooper, you can take the sweat out of cleaning a litter box with how fast you can clean.
Or should I say that this can be quick and easy provided you have the best cat litter scoop. Some common pain points cat owners have are that these scoops bend easily, and the poop goes everywhere. This doubles your cleaning job, as you now have to go hunt for where the poop and urine clumps landed, and you have a much bigger area to clean.
There is also the other issue of litter scoopers breaking easily, so you keep buying and trying out product after product. Wouldn’t life be so much simpler if you could buy the best kitty litter scooper for you today – one that doesn’t break or fling poop everywhere (like the universe is conspiring against you)?
I’ve got you. Not only do I have a list of the ultimate best litter scoopers you can buy today, but I’ve included a detailed buyers guide, so you know exactly what makes a good cat litter scoop and what aspects to look out for.
Spoiler Alert: If you need to dash out the door, my top pick for the best kitty litter scooper is the DuraScoop Jumbo Cat Litter Scoop. It’s durable as the scoop and handle are made from solid aluminum. The handle is ergonomic and non-slip, and there are finger grooves so that you can scoop your cat’s poop and urine clumps with ease. It is also available in 3 cool colors.
Why Do You Need a Kitty Litter Scooper?
There are many benefits to using a cat litter scoop:
- It keeps your cat’s litter box clean.
- It is more hygienic to use a scooper since you are further away from the litter box.
Even if you accidentally touch your cat’s feces, you could become infected with the toxoplasma gondii parasite that cats harbor. This triggers toxoplasmosis, with symptoms lasting for several weeks, including headaches, fever, and muscle pain.
Also, if you breathe in cat urine, which is high in ammonia, it may trigger respiratory problems. This is especially dangerous if you have asthma or bronchitis as ammonia fumes increase phlegm and coughing, and you could have trouble breathing.
- It is a time-saver as cleaning out your cat’s litter box will only take a few minutes every day.
- It keeps your kitty happy. Cats are fastidiously clean animals, and ensuring their litter box is clean means that their high standards for cleanliness are met.
How to Correctly Use a Cat Litter Scoop
If you are a first-time cat owner, here’s a short step-by-step guide to correctly using your kitty litter scooper:
- Step 1: Get your scooper and a plastic bag ready.
- Step 2: Use your cat litter scoop and dig into the cat litter box.
- Step 3: Fill the scoop with poop and urine clumps from the litter.
- Step 4: Gently shake the scooper from side to side while keeping the scooper over the litter box. You want the waste to stay in the scooper while the unused litter falls back into the box.
- Step 5: Once you are left with only feces and clumps, dump this into a plastic bag.
- Step 6: Repeat Steps 2-5 until all the clumps from the litter box have been removed.
- Step 7: Seal or tie the plastic bag and dispose of it in your outside trash can.
- Step 8: Wash the scooper with warm water and soap. Let it air dry. Once dry, store it.
- Step 9: If needed, top up the litter box with more litter.
Buyers Guide: What Do You Need to Know Before Buying a Kitty Litter Scooper
Here’s what to look out for on your hunt for the best cat litter scooper:
Kinds of Cat Litter Scoopers
There are various types of scoopers on the market:
- The standard scooper has a scraping edge, short handle, and slots in the head of the scooper.
- A long scooper is one that’s handle is long or extendable. These kinds of scoopers are kind to your knees and back as you don’t have to bend down (as far) to scoop up your cat’s poop and urine clumps.
A key consideration here is that the long handle should be durable; you surely don’t want it to break in the midst of a scooping session.
- The scoop and caddy option looks like a toilet brush and holder, so you get a caddy in which you can store your scooper when you aren’t using it.
Getting a caddy with your scooper (or even buying a cat litter scoop holder separately) is great because it means you can store your scoop more hygienically. No matter how well you clean the scooper, there will always be some germs. A caddy solves the problem of the germs accidentally infecting you or someone in your household by keeping it separate from other items in your home.
The Durability of the Scooper
The more durable your scooper, the less often you need to replace it. The most durable cat litter scoopers are made of aluminum or stainless steel metal. However, some plastic scoopers are also high quality and long-lasting.
The Scooper Slot Size
How well you filter the poop and urine clumps from the rest of the unused litter depends on the size of the slots (or holes). It is recommended to choose a slot size that works with the kind of litter you use:
- For fine litter that looks like sand, you need a scooper that has small slots of around 4 millimeters (0.15 inch).
- If you use coarse litter, then a scooper with slots of 5-6 millimeters (0.19-0.23 inch) will work well.
- For pellet or crystal litter, your slots should be at least 8 millimeters (0.31 inch) wide. For this last kind of litter, a litter scooper with round holes is ideal.
If the slots or holes on your scoop are the right size, then it also means you don’t have to sift and shake a lot to get the unused litter to fall through into the litter box.
Length of the Scooper Grip
The length of the scooper grip also ties in with how comfortable the product will be to use. If you have back problems or can’t bend easily, then a scooper with a longer or adjustable handle will be the best for you.
Another consideration is also how comfy the actual grip is of the scoop. The handle should fit your hand well. Ensure there is no pinching.
Shape of the Scooper
The shape of your scooper should work with the cat litter box you have. If you have a deeper litter box, then a shovel-like scoop will work well as you can plow through the litter and more easily sift out the urine clumps and poop.
On the other hand, if your scooper is round, then you may find that you can’t quite get into the corners of the litter box. The same may happen if the scoop is too big for the box. In this case, choose a smaller scooper or one that is square.
My Criteria for Choosing the Best Kitty Litter Scooper
Making sure to only choose the best of the best kitty litter scoopers for this list, I considered these aspects:
I chose a range of scoopers so you can find one to fit your needs. I’ve included ones with smaller and bigger slots, ones with front-end scrapers so you can scrape off any clumped liquid that sticks to the bottom of the litter box, as well as one or two with a longer handle.
Price is a big factor no matter what you buy. I took into consideration all budgets so you can find the best scooper for your needs and your wallet.
I used this price range and included it with each product. Kindly note that I didn’t consider current discounts on offer by Amazon or the manufacturers. This price tier is subject to change.
- $ > Under $5
- $$ > Between $5 and $9
- $$$ > Between $10 and $19
- $$$$ > More than $20
For all the kitty litter scoopers, I carefully reviewed the product star rating as well as the customer reviews. The majority of the buyers for each scooper was more than happy with the product and only had positive comments.
Moreover, each product has a 4+ star rating (out of a maximum of 5).
This all indicates that since most customers are happy with their purchase, you should be too.
Another main consideration was the durability of each scooper. I only chose products that are made from metal or the highest quality plastic to ensure you don’t need to replace your product often.
The 10 Best Kitty Litter Scoopers
Here are the 10 best kitty litter scoopers for your consideration:
DuraScoop Jumbo Cat Litter Scoop – All Metal Scoops for Kitty Litter Boxes
With more than 27,000 reviews and counting, it is no surprise that the DuraScoop Jumbo Cat Litter Scoop – All Metal Scoops for Kitty Litter Boxes is at the top of my list for the best cat litter scoopers.
This product is made from solid metal and features an ergonomic handle that has finger grips and a molded-in thumb stop. With the soft non-slip grip cover over the solid metal handle, this product is durable and easy on your hand.
- Dimensions: 13.24” x 5.5” x 1.75” (L x W x H)
- Available in 3 colors: watermelon pink, mint green, and sky blue
- Durable; the whole scooper is made from solid metal (solid cast aluminum), so it won’t break or bend
- Rust-resistant design, which furthers the product’s longevity
- Non-slip handle with finger grooves, so the scooper is kind on your hand
- Loop for hanging the scoop is plastic, and reviewers are worried this might break at some point
- Small litter clumps may fall through the slots
IPRIMIO Cat Litter Scooper with Deep Shovel – Non-Stick Plated Aluminum Scoop
The next best scooper is the IPRIMIO Cat Litter Scooper with Deep Shovel – Non-Stick Plated Aluminum Scoop. The nano-coated scooper is made from solid aluminum.
This deep shovel comes with a plastic hanger that you can attach to your wall. Store your scooper here when it isn’t in use.
- 4 mm (0.15 inch) slot width
- Dimensions: 13.25” x 5” x 1.75” (L x W x H)
- Durable; made from solid aluminum and nano coating
- Plastic wall hanger included
- Rounded corners so you can easily scoop up clumped liquid and poop from the litter box
- Nano coating makes this scooper easy to clean
- Solid, ergonomic handle
- Reviewers said that wet clumpy litter sticks to the front of the scooper
WePet Cat Litter Scoop
The WePet Cat Litter Scoop is made from an aluminum alloy, so it is rust and corrosion-resistant, as well as waterproof and easy to clean. The 6.25” grip handle is made for comfort with reinforced rubber.
The serrated edge on the front of the litter scooper has dull teeth, but it helps you loosen and sticky bits at the bottom of the box. The 2” deep shovel makes poop scooping easy and helps you scoop up those bits in the corners of the litter box.
- Dimensions: 14” x 5” x 2” (L x W x H)
- ¼ inch slot width
- Serrated edge to loosen the bits that stick to the bottom of the litter box
- Available in 20 color options
- Deep scooper design to help you get to all the corners of the litter box
- The scooper with a navy handle is about $5 cheaper than those with pink, green, yellow, gray, black, purple, red, turquoise, and orange handles – but the overall product is the same
- Smaller clumps may fall through
Fresh Step All-in-One Cat Litter Scoop
The Fresh Step All-in-One Cat Litter Scoop is an all-in-one litter scoop. It comes with an ergonomic handle. The scooper easily sifts through most litter types and helps you scrape messes away.
The holes toward the front of the scooper pick up clumps, even small poop, while the larger slots at the back sift through the litter that’s meant to go back into the litter box. This makes the pooper scooper business more efficient.
- Dimensions: 11.75” x 5.25” x 2.8” (L x W x H)
- Non-slip grip handle with textured sides and an ergonomic design
- Sift small and large clumps with the small holes toward the front of the scoop and larger slots at the back
- Push counter hook gives you greater stability while scooping
- Some reviewers say the scooper is smaller than they expected
- Made from plastic, but reviewers say it is durable
Petmate 29112 Jumbo Litter Sifter/Scoop
The Petmate 29112 Jumbo Litter Sifter/Scoop comes in a bleach linen color. It is made from environmentally friendly recycled plastic – microban – and the manufacturer claims that the product resists stains and odors.
It features an extra large mouth to make scooping poop and urine clumps easy. This also helps you sift through the waste and the litter.
Many reviewers say this isn’t a jumbo-sized cat litter scooper; instead, it is more small to medium.
- Dimensions: 11.4” x 4.7” x 3.1” (L x W x H)
- Clumps don’t stick to the scooper
- Stain and odor-resistant
- Reviewers complain that the label sticker was really difficult to remove and that the residual glue needs to be removed with ethanol
Neater Pet Brands – Neater Scooper and 60 Count Refill Bag Bundle – Cat Litter Sifter
With this product, scooping and bagging are combined to make the pooping scooping session a lot easier! You get a scooper, a scooper holder (or you can use it as a waste bin), and a paper waste dispenser bag with 15 plastic bags, plus three boxes of refill plastic bags that you can use for your kitty’s waste.
The Neater Pet Brands – Neater Scooper and 60 Count Refill Bag Bundle – Cat Litter Sifter offers real value for money!
Line the bin/caddy with one of the included green plastic waste bags to use this product. Push the bag down to ensure it lines all the way to the bottom of the bin and press the corners of the bag into the caddy corners. Attach the scooper to the bin, so as you dig into the litter box and sift, you can tilt back the scooper, and the waste automatically falls into the bin.
You can also use the scoop by itself for large clumps.
- Dimensions: 11.7” x 5.9” x 5.6” (L x W x H)
- Available in 5 color options: pink, tan, blue, green, and gray
- Easy to use for fast litter box cleanup
- In the box, you get a value bundle: a cat litter scooper, a scooper holder or caddy that doubles as a waste bin, a plastic bag dispenser with 15 bags, and 3 refill boxes of 15 plastic bags each
- Only designed to work with clumping litter, not non-clumping or pellet litter
- Best for cleaning litter for 1 cat per day; otherwise, use the scooper by itself and use other pet waste bags
Booda Scoop’N Hide Litter Scoop
The Booda Scoop’N Hide Litter Scoop comes with a cat litter scooper and a caddy in which you can store the scoop, so it is out of sight. You can collect and deposit quite an amount of litter waste in the deep-bucket scoop, and the slotted rake makes it easy to sift through the litter.
- Dimensions: 11.5” x 5” x 2.5” (L x W x H)
- Available in 2 color options: brushed nickel and multi (which seems to be white according to product images)
- Scooper comes with a caddy, or you can use the caddy as a bin (just line it with a plastic bag for easy cleaning and disposing)
- Some reviewers find it difficult to place the scooper in the caddy; others don’t
Yangbaga Metal Cat Litter Scoop with Deep Shovel and Long Handle
With the Yangbaga Metal Cat Litter Scoop with Deep Shovel and Long Handle, you don’t need to break your back to scoop cat feces and clumps from the litter box. You can stand or sit and scoop away with ease!
The scooper is made from premium thick stainless steel, so it’s perfect for heavy-duty scooping. It is also durable as well as odor and rust-resistant.
- Dimensions of the scooper head: 5.6” x 5.2” x 2” (L x W x H) while the length with the short handle is 16.4”
- Included is a 16.4” handle extender for a total scooper length of 32.8”
- Durable and suitable for heavy-duty scooping work; made from premium stainless steel
- Handles are padded with foam for easy gripping
- With the handle extender, you stay further away from your cat’s feces, which is better for your health
- Clumps can fall out of the scooper if you are standing while scooping
- Some reviewers state this is heavy, and they need to use the scooper with 2 hands, while others, in a standing position, can easily use it with one hand
SunGrow Non-Stick Cat Litter Sifter Scoop
The SunGrow Non-Stick Cat Litter Sifter Scoop features anti-scatters sides with a bend and flick-free comfortable grip handle. There is also a hangup hole for easy storing.
The scooper is corrosion and stain-resistant. It is made from durable industrial-grade stainless steel. The handle is ergonomic; it’s made from molded rubber to minimize hand fatigue.
The flat-edged scooper blade easily sifts through the litter for clumps and poop.
- Dimensions: 14” x 5.5” x 1.6” (L x W x H)
- 5 mm (0.19 inch) hole/slot width
- Durable; made from industrial-grade stainless steel
- Ergonomic handle to reduce hand fatigue
- Very small clumps will fall through the slots
- Handle only has halfway stainless steel support, and the rest is just rubber
Chi-buy The Latest Update Metal Cat Litter Scoop, Aluminum Alloy with TABS/Round Teeth Pet Kitty Litter Scooper
The Chi-buy The Latest Update Metal Cat Litter Scoop is available in 3 color options. There is a scooper with a blue handle, a black handle, and a dark blue handle.
The scooper is made from electroplating coated aluminum, so it is lightweight and durable, and the scooper is corrosion-resistant. The handle is made from an ergo rubber, so it feels comfortable in your hand while you scoop cat waste.
There are rounded teeth or metal tabs at the front of the scoop head, so it’s easy to scrape off any waste that sticks to the bottom of your cat’s litter box.
- Dimensions: 13.78” x 5.51” x 1.57” (L x W x H)
- ¼ inch slot width
- Durable and lightweight; made from solid cast aluminum
- Round teeth help you get those sticky clumps off the litter box’s bottom
- Comes in 3 color options
- Metal only goes about halfway up the handle, so the rest is rubber
- Some reviewers say the slots are too wide, while others say the scooper is too big
Answer: There are a few ways you can keep your cat’s litter box odor-free:
Place your cat’s litter box in a well-ventilated area so any stinky smells from the box can dissipate with the help of a breeze.
Scoop out urine and poop at least daily or every other day if you use a clumping litter. For non-clumping litter, you’ll have to throw out the litter containing absorbed urine and poop; scrub, wash, and dry the litter box; and place fresh litter in the dry box.
Have one litter box in use for each cat and one extra. So if you have three cats, then you need four litter boxes.
Use two litter boxes in rotation so you can use a spare as you thoroughly clean and dry the other one.
Baking soda helps absorb litter box smells. Either sprinkle some baking soda in the litter box before you add the litter or place an opened box of baking soda near the litter box.
Use an enzyme-based cleaner if your cat has a potty accident, i.e., doesn’t urinate or poop inside their litter box.
Replace the litter box yearly.
Answer: How often you change your cat litter or scoop out cat poop depends on how many cats you have, how much your cat poops, the type of litter you use, as well as what you prefer (aka what works for you).
Many cat owners and experts recommend a monthly change, but you may find that you need to scoop and change the litter more often. Others recommend replacing litter bi-weekly. There is also the option of changing the cat litter every few weeks, provided you scoop poop out daily or twice a day.
With clumping litter, for example, cat urine becomes chunks that are easy to scoop up, and any loose litter can be shifted through the slots in the cat litter scooper and placed back into the litter box. Poop, on the other hand, will be coated in the litter, and this helps it not stick to the scoop.
After you’ve scooped up the urine chunks and coated poop, you can fill up the litter box with more litter. This ensures there is plenty of litter when your cat urinates and poops, which makes scooping easier.
With non-clumping litter, urine is usually absorbed by the wood, corn, or clay. You’ll need to completely change out this litter as it can’t really be scoped.
Answer: Choosing between plastic or metal for your cat litter scooper depends on your budget, how durable you need the scooper to be, and how heavy the item is.
If you need an inexpensive scooper, then plastic is the way to go. A plastic scooper, however, tends to be less durable than its metal counterpart. These scoopers also bend with a lot of use.
A metal scooper is a good investment since it is durable, so you’ll be able to use your aluminum or stainless steel scooper for longer.
Answer: The best way to clean your cat litter scooper is by washing it with hot water and dishwashing liquid. To disinfect the scooper, add a disinfectant or bathroom cleaner.
When washing the scooper, remember to wear gloves and don’t wash it in your kitchen or bathroom sink. You don’t want remnants of your cat’s waste to be touching your hands or dishes or your toothbrush – not even by accident.
Use a brush to scrub the slots, and once clean, let the scooper dry before putting it away.
Answer: How big the slots are at the bottom of your kitty litter scooper depends on what litter product and size grains you use. You should choose slots that are small enough so that your kitty’s poop and the clumps of litter don’t fall through the slots. However, the scooper slots should also be big enough to easily pass through the unsoiled litter.
The Best Kitty Litter Scooper Verdict
If you can make your life easier, why won’t you? The best kitty litter scooper can save you time, money, sweat, and effort as you can more easily shift through your cat’s litter box and separate the feces and urine clumps from the litter.
The best scoopers are durable, have the right slot size for the kind of litter you use, fits your price point, and works for the litter box you have.
To recap, the best kitty litter scooper is the DuraScoop Jumbo Cat Litter Scoop, which is made from metal and comes with an ergonomic handle. This scooper is durable, so you know you are investing in quality.
More purrfect readings on the links below:
How to Stop Your Cat from Urinating Everywhere
7 Best Litter Boxes for Senior Cats | Older Cat Litter Boxes
How to Find the Best Kitty Litter