Pet lovers everywhere understand the importance of protecting their little friends from a variety of potential threats. While you can take preemptive measures to protect your little companions from danger or harm such as collars, our pets deal with medical issues just like us, and they are not always visible. Whether your pet had a chronic medical condition or you simply want to give them a routine check-up, pet insurance is a great way to protect your animal and ensure it’s safety. There are a lot of pet insurance companies out there; however, not all of them provide the comprehensive protection you would expect.
Two of the main pet insurance service providers are Petplan insurance and Embrace insurance. Both of these companies provide comprehensive pet insurance plans for a wide range of animals including dogs and cats. By signing up for these pet insurers, you will have access to preferred veterinarian providers and discounted medication prices amongst an array of other benefits.
In this guide, we’re going to compare Petplan pet insurance and Embrace pet insurance so that you can decide on which one offers the most value. Some benefits offered by one company may be better suited for your needs when compared to another so keep this in mind when deciding and go with the pet insurance that provides the coverage your pet needs individually.
Subsequently, Petplan wins the battle for the most comprehensive pet insurance coverage. Petplan offers stable and complete protection for your pets with dental exams included. Petplan also offers the most coverage when compared to its competitors. This pet insurance is the best option for those pet owners who are serious about providing solid insurance for their animals. Petplan also offers a mobile app where you can sign up to file claims and submit medical record information.
Table of Contents
A Look at Petplan Insurance
Petplan has been around for decades providing high-quality, comprehensive medical insurance for pets of all types. Petplan is one of the leading global pet insurance providers who is trusted by millions of pet owners. Petplan offers some of the complete protection that you can find for your fluffy friends; they offer affordable, convenient, and trustworthy coverage so that you can rest easy knowing that your animal is protected.
Petplan covers virtually all services your pet would ever need or want including surgeries, life insurance, diagnostic treatments and so much more. Petplan is definitely one of the more reputable pet insurance providers that you can trust to keep your dog or cat safe.
About the Company: Petplan
Petplan was founded in 1976 by David Simpson, and Patsy Bloom who started the company in the U.K. in 2001, Natasha Ashton and Chris Ashton had an entrepreneurial mission to expand coverage for pets worldwide. They ventured into the U.S. with their Birman cat Bodey to chase their dreams of gaining investment from the Wharton Venture Initiative Program to start providing pet insurance coverage to U.S. residents. After Bodey’s vet bill was $5,000, his owners knew that they needed to help other pet owners find full health protection for their little furry friends.
In 2003, Natasha and Chris incorporated Fetch, Inc. which is the company who today holds the exclusive license for Petplan pet insurance protection. Today, Petplan consists of 200 passionate individuals who work endlessly to provide your pet with the insurance coverage that they deserve. Petplan is a reliable pet insurance provider that offers trusted coverage for your pets that you can depend on. Petplan has the vision to provide pets with continued support and resources instead of just covering them when something bad happens. Petplan is a company with true values and dedication to helping pets thrive throughout their life regardless of age.
Petplan Insurance: Plans & Coverage
Petplan offers a variety of insurance policies for both cats and dogs; their insurance plans vary in coverage amount and price. One of the great things about Petplan is that they provide illness-specific coverage options; these coverage plans ensure a vast amount of diseases, injuries, and chronic conditions.
Petplan offers dog insurance that is comprehensive and reliable; statistics show that every 6 seconds a vet bill cost more than $1,000. Petplan is one of the best pet insurance providers that covers a large amount of your initial vet bill. This allows you to save money without sacrificing coverage quality so that your pet is protected under any circumstances.
- Lameness- Cost: $966 Petplan Insurance Cost: $197
- Allergies- Cost: $777 Petplan Insurance Cost: $178
- Foreign Body ingestion- Cost: $1,755 Petplan Insurance Cost: $276
- Cruciate Injuries- Cost: $3,480 Petplan Insurance Cost: $448
- Neoplasia- Cost: $2,033 Petplan Insurance Cost: $304
- Petplan offers coverage on more injuries and illnesses also, as you can see their coverage plans can save you serious money on vet bills and other expenses.
Petplan also offers full-spectrum cat insurance for your feline friends, Petplan is a very versatile insurance provider that allows you to give your pet premium insurance coverage at affordable rates. Petplan insurance reimburses you up to 90% of your total veterinarian bill making it one of the most comprehensive pet insurance companies available.
- Kidney Disorders- Cost: $1,571 Petplan Insurance Cost: $389
- Periodontal Disease- Cost: $846 Petplan Insurance Cost: $185
- Diabetes Mellitus- Cost: $1,786 Petplan Insurance Cost: $369
- Cystic Calculi (bladder stones)- Cost: $1,599 Petplan Insurance Cost: $379
- Neoplasia- Cost: $2,033 Petplan Insurance Cost: $564
- Hyperthyroid/Hyperthyroidism- Cost: $838 Petplan Insurance Cost: $238
As you can see, with Petplan insurance you have the ability to save thousands of dollars each year on vet bills and procedures that would otherwise cost you a fortune. Petplan insurance uses specialized care estimates that provide an immediate barrier of coverage for your animals regardless of what medical condition or illness they may be facing.
Competing pet insurance providers will make coverage estimates based upon procedures when you request service or visit the veterinarian. Petplan offers comprehensive coverage all year round regardless of what illness your pet may or may not be dealing with. This allows you to feel confident and rest easy knowing that your pet is safe and protected from a variety of potential medical issues and threats.
Benefits of Petplan Insurance
Petplan insurance provides an array of standard protection benefits in addition to optional coverage options that provide even more security for your little four-legged friend. Petplan insurance is one of the most fully intuitive and customizable insurance providers available. They provide high-quality pet insurance coverage for practically anything that could happen to your little furry partner.
Petplan Basic Coverage
- Alternative Therapies
- Veterinary exam fees
- Diagnostic Treatments
- Cancer Treatments
- Non-routine Dental Treatments
- Prescription Medication
- And more!
Petplan Optional Coverage
- Vacation Cancellation
- Behavioral Therapies
- Loss due to theft or straying
- Boarding kennel fees
- Death from injury or illness
- Reward & Advertising
Petplan insurance does not cover the following procedures or medical issues:
- Cosmetic Procedures– surgeries such as ear cropping, tail docking, and dewclaw removal are not necessary procedures that impact the overall health of your pet. This is the main reason that Petplan doesn’t cover these sorts of procedure or surgeries.
- Liability Coverage– Petplan is a pet insurance provider, not a liability coverage provider; the difference is that liability coverage only protects the owner and their possessions as opposed to the pet itself.
- Pre-existing Conditions– Petplan insurance does not cover conditions that your pet may be suffering from before receiving coverage under their plan. Your pet may become eligible to receive coverage for pre-existing conditions after an exclusionary period of assessment.
- Routine Check-ups– Petplan insurance is not a wellness provider, so routine procedures such as teeth cleaning, vaccines, and neutering are not covered by their plans.
- Wellness Care– Same as with routine check-ups, Petplan is a pet insurance company not a pet wellness coverage provider.
- And more!
Petplan doesn’t cover the procedures mentioned above because they primarily focus on injuries and immediate medical care needs related to your pet. Petplan insurance is designed to take care of healthcare issues that may sporadically appear or suddenly affect your pet; Petplan does not cover pre-existing medical conditions or routine wellness procedures.
Pros & Cons: Petplan Insurance
- Petplan offers insurance for dogs and cats which makes them a very versatile pet insurance provider who covers virtually all pets.
- Petplan pays up to 90% of all costs associated with various illnesses and injuries.
- Petplan reimburses procedure fees depending on the circumstance, to receive a reimbursement you must file a claim then a decision will be made within 5 to 14 days.
- Petplan has a mobile app which makes it easy for you to file a claim and receive the coverage your pet deserves.
- Petplan works with every veterinarian in the US and Canada, so you don’t have to worry about finding a vet that is in your “network.” Simply go to any veterinarian and begin treating your pet with the medical attention that they need.
- Petplan offers basic coverage benefits in addition to optional coverage options which allow you to customize the treatment that your pet receives.
- Petplan insures all dog and cat breeds, so you don’t have to worry about whether or not your pet is covered.
- Petplan doesn’t have any age restrictions so pets in all walks of life can receive the coverage they need.
- Petplan does not cover pre-existing conditions so you will have to wait through an exclusionary period in order to receive coverage for conditions that your pet is already suffering from.
- Petplan does not cover cosmetic procedures so you won’t be able to get coverage for non-essential procedures.
- Petplan does not cover routine care practices such as routine teeth cleaning or vaccinations.
- Petplan does not provide liability insurance to protect you or your property from potential accidents.
Questions & Answers: Petplan Insurance
Q: If I live outside of the U.S. and Canada can I still get coverage for my pet?
A: Petplan currently does not offer coverage outside of the U.S. and Canada, so unless you hold a residency in these countries you won’t have access to Petplan insurance.
Q: How do I file a claim for my pet using Petplan insurance?
A: Petplan makes it easy for you to file an insurance claim, simply log into your account portal or use the mobile app. A few pieces of paperwork will be required to review your claim properly, and the claim process takes roughly 14 days to complete and 30 days to pay out.
Q: What are my payment options with Petplan insurance?
A: Petplan accepts all major credit card providers such as MasterCard & VISA, you can also use a debit card to pay for your insurance policy. You can save money on your Petplan insurance by paying for coverage on an annual basis instead of monthly. You can also pay on a quarterly, monthly, yearly or custom plan for maximum flexibility. You can change your payment plan anytime you would like and can do so by simply visiting their website or contacting customer support.
Q: Are there any restrictions on the veterinary offices I can use with Petplan insurance?
A: No, Petplan works with virtually every veterinary office located in the U.S. and Canada.
Q: Can I change my coverage options during the year?
A: Yes, Petplan allows you to change your coverage amount throughout the year, so you are never locked into an insurance plan.
Is Petplan Right for your pet?
Petplan is one of the leading pet insurance providers in the world having 40+yrs of experience in the industry. Petplan offers specialized protection and medical coverage for both dogs and cats which makes them one of the most versatile pet insurance companies out. Petplan gives you the ability to select standard coverage options in addition to choosing optional protection which allows you to customize your coverage amount and level.
Petplan is great for those owners who want to provide their pets with complete protection with minimal effort. One of the main downsides to Petplan pet insurance is that they do not cover pre-existing medical conditions so if your cat or dog has an illness prior to being covered under Petplan then you must wait through an exclusionary period before they will be able to receive treatment.
While most pet insurance providers offer flexible coverage options that change on a whim, Petplan offers more fixed insurance protection for your pets. Petplan is the perfect insurance coverage for serious pet owners who want to cover their pet in all areas. Petplan insurance provides comprehensive protection for your pets consistently and is the best insurance option for those pet owners who are serious about the health of their four-legged friends.
A Look at Embrace Insurance
Embrace pet insurance is a flexible pet insurance provider who emphasizes coverage customization and flexibility. Embrace offers cat and dog insurance coverage that can be customized or set-up with standard coverage options, so your pet’s protection is completely in your hands. Embrace offers wellness protection and 24hr access to veterinary services so that you’re never in a situation where an emergency happens, and you don’t have access to proper pet care. Embrace is all about efficient insurance coverage carried out by passionate individuals who understand your needs. Embrace pet insurance has a primary focus on providing passionate pet coverage that is innovative and based on principles of giving back to the pet community.
About the Company: Embrace
Embrace pet insurance originally started out as a pet insurance concept in 2003 where it won the 2003 Wharton Business Plan Competition. Three years later, Embrace sold their first pet insurance policy in October 2006 which would become the springboard for their business as it would begin to develop. Embrace expanded their coverage capabilities in 2012 when they entered a partnership with the American Modern Insurance Group who is an A+ rated leading provider in the industry.
To make their company name more well-known, Embrace & American Modern partnered with Armed Forces Insurance in 2013 to expand their insurance coverage for dogs and cats. In 2014, Embrace also partnered with Halen Woodward Animal Center who is a top-level animal welfare non-profit organization. In 20115, Embrace launched its online customer portal making it easier than ever to schedule and receive medical care for your pets.
Embrace pet insurance is one of the most customer oriented and fully customizable pet insurance providers available.
Embrace Insurance: Plans & Coverage
Embrace offers a variety of coverage amounts of plans for cats and dogs alike, with Embrace insurance you’re able to have routine wellness procedures covered in addition to severe illnesses. Embrace pet insurance provides diminishing deductibles that decrease over time in addition to a rewards program for routine wellness check-ups.
Embrace provides a plethora of great benefits and medical coverage for dog breeds of all types and ages. Embrace provides puppy insurance and also offer rescue dog insurance so that no animal is left without the coverage that they need. Embrace uses an annual deductible and co-pay system to reduce the overall cost of your pet insurance bills by a significant factor.
- Dog Hit by Car- Cost: $8,527 Embrace Insurance Cost: $1,303
- Dysplasia- Cost: $4,580 Embrace Insurance Cost: $ $1,741
- Grape Intoxication- Cost: $1,658 Embrace Insurance Cost: $492
- Cruciate Ligament Tear- Cost: $5,550 Embrace Insurance Cost: $1,590
Embrace offers comprehensive coverage for cats also, with Embrace cat insurance you receive up to a 90% reimbursement for all medical procedures. In addition to great savings, you have access to a wellness rewards program in addition to accident and illness protection. Embrace pet insurance for cats provides total protection for your feline under a variety of circumstances.
- Broken Leg- Cost: $4,061 Embrace Insurance Cost: $1,194
- Chronic GI Problems- Cost: $3,103 Embrace Insurance Cost: $1,182
- Foreign Object Interaction- Cost: $5,648 Embrace Insurance Cost: $1,290
- Fibrosarcoma- Cost: $7,161 Embrace Insurance Cost: $1,752
Embrace pet insurance provides some of the most value-driven protection out there. When it comes to debilitating diseases, Embrace puts your wallet and pet’s safety as their number one priority, and it shows in their reimbursement coverage and versatile insurance coverage. Embrace is a well-rounded company that puts you in control of where and how to treat your pet’s disabilities or illnesses.
Embrace also covers the majority of your pet’s routine wellness checks which is a great benefit when compared to competing pet insurance providers on the market. Embrace uses a wellness rewards system that will give you a yearly allowance which can be spent on things such as microchipping, surgery, vaccinations, and more.
Benefits of Embrace Insurance
Embrace pet insurance offers some of the most complete coverage options when compared to all of the pet insurance companies out there. Embrace is a pet-centered insurance provider that offers a huge amount of savings, rewards, and reimbursement options. Embrace insurance rewards you for taking care of your pet while simultaneously saving you thousands of dollars each year on coverage. Embrace covers such a large scope of potential pet related illness, accidents, and injuries that it is hard to beat the sheer amount of benefits and savings they offer as a pet insurance provider.
Embrace Basic Coverage
- Chronic Conditions
- Exam Fees
- Behavioral Therapy
- Congenital Conditions
- Breed-Specific Conditions
- Diagnostic Testing
- Genetic Conditions
- Dental Illnesses
- And more!
Embrace Optional Coverage
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Alternative Therapies
Embrace Insurance does not cover the following Illnesses or conditions:
- Embrace insurance does not provide coverage for pre-existing medical conditions or illnesses.
- Embrace insurance does not provide coverage for breeding or pregnancy.
- Embrace insurance does not cover DNA testing or cloning of animals regardless of their species.
- Embrace insurance does not cover stem cell therapy that is deemed not medically necessary.
- Embrace insurance does not provide coverage for cosmetic procedures such as ear cropping, tail docking, or dew claw removal unless a veterinarian deems it medically necessary.
- Embrace insurance does not provide coverage for injuries related to fighting, cruelty, neglect, or racing.
- Embrace does not cover routine veterinary care procedures such as dental cleaning.
Embrace does not cover any of the conditions, surgeries, or circumstances mentioned above. Embrace insurance is designed to provide your pet with long-term protection against sporadic illness or injuries which may occur during their lifetime. Any unnecessary cosmetic or otherwise non-essential medical procedures are not eligible to receive protection under the Embrace insurance plan.
Pros & Cons: Embrace Pet Insurance
- Embrace insurance offers a rewards program that allows you to receive perks for managing your pet’s health on a regular basis.
- Embrace insurance leaves the coverage amounts for your pet totally up to you. Once you sign your pet up for Embrace insurance, the coverage lasts a lifetime unless you change the policy.
- Embrace offers up to a 90% reimbursement for all costs related to deductibles, procedures, medications, and much more.
- Embrace insurance provides reimbursement for prescription medications such as antibiotics and insulin.
- Embrace provides coverage for chronic conditions and alternative therapies so your pet can always get the assistance they need.
- Embrace insurance accepts all breeds of cat and dogs for coverage under their insurance policy.
- Embrace insurance gives you 24/7 access to all of your pets medical records and information via their online web portal or mobile application.
- Embrace insurance uses a diminishing deductible that decreases over time with more visits to the veterinarian.
- Embrace pet insurance does not become effective immediately, accidental coverage becomes active in 48hrs, and Illness protection takes 2 weeks before it becomes active.
- For Embrace insurance coverage to become active, your pet must’ve have visited a veterinarian within the last 12 months.
- Embrace only offers accident and illness protection for pets aged 14 or younger, pets older than 14yrs may only be covered under accident-only coverage.
Questions & Answers: Embrace Insurance
Q: Does Embrace limit what kind of procedures are covered under their plans?
A: Yes, Embrace insurance only provides coverage for illness, surgery, and chronic diseases. Non-essential procedures such as cosmetic surgery and tail docking are not covered by Embrace.
Q: Can I change my Embrace coverage plan?
A: Yes, Embrace allows you to add or subtract coverage from your pet insurance policy whenever you like.
Q: How long does Embrace cover my pets in the event of potential illnesses?
A: Embrace coverage lasts a lifetime regardless of the kind of animal or coverage option selected. You can change your Embrace coverage plan at any moment; however, once you sign up for Embrace insurance it lasts for a lifetime.
Q: How long does it take for my Embrace pet insurance policy to become active?
A: The amount of time it takes for your Embrace pet insurance to become active all depends on the type of coverage option you choose. Some Embrace pet insurance plans become active instantly while others take weeks or months to become active.
Q: Are there any restrictions on which breeds can be covered under Embrace insurance?
A: No, Embrace pet insurance accepts all pet breeds and types; however coverage options may differ.
Is Embrace Right for Your Pet?
Embrace pet insurance is for those people who want flexible coverage options which full access to their pets medical records. Embrace offers incredible discounts and rewards programs which are great for those pet owners who are constantly faced with recurring vet bills or other pet-related medical expenses. Embrace provides full-range coverage for dogs and cats so if you want easy access to your pet’s medical records without much hassle then Embrace has a solution for you.
Embrace covered reimbursement fees up to 90% of the total procedure cost which results in you saving thousands of dollars each year on pet-related medical bills. The Embrace rewards program offers even more value by designation an annual allowance amount which you can use towards pet-related medical expenses without having to come out of your own pocket.
Embrace insurance is the perfect option for those pet owners who want convivence and flexibility while maintaining a steady level of protection for their pets.
Petplan and Embrace pet insurance vary drastically from one another in terms of the amount of coverage they offer and their pricing options. When It comes to choosing which one is best for you, the decision will come down to what features you value on an individual basis. Petplan offers some of the most robust and full coverage options while Embrace brings customization and accessibility to the forefront.
Embrace offers an online app and portal which allows you to regularly check on your pet’s health and accruing medical bills. Petplan is compatible with virtually any veterinarians office located in the US or Canada while Embrace has more restrictions. Both Embrace and Petplan offer specialized coverage for pets that is suited to meet the needs of owners on an individual basis.
Both companies also support great causes such as animal rescue missions and service dogs. Depending on the amount of money and time that you want to spend getting into the intricate details of your pet’s medical condition Petplan would be a preferred option. If you want total control of your pet insurance plan and coverage with very few limits on how long your pet is covered and what they are covered for then Embrace may be a more suitable pet insurance provider for you.
Embrace has slightly lower exclusionary periods for coverage eligibility and also has more flexibility when it comes to choosing the terms of your coverage. Embrace does not have an annual vet visit requirement which can be a positive or negative depending on who you ask while Embrace states that they offer an optional routine care plan, much like Petplan they don’t offer it as part of basic coverage, so the value of the add-on doesn’t really make much of a substantial difference.
All in all, both providers give you the ability to protect your pets from a variety of illness and diseases; however only one of them came out the clear winner.
Winner of the Comparison: Petplan Insurance
Petplan wins this comparison for a few simple reasons, the number one reason being that they offer comprehensive pet insurance coverage for an array of potential diseases without adding any extra fluff on top of their claims. Petplan is the most versatile option because you can take your pet to any vet in the U.S. or Canada and receive full coverage without a hassle. Petplan insurance is also more affordable when compared to other companies on the market.
Petplan offers very high insurance coverage that saves you tons of money each year on vet bills, medications, surgeries, chronic conditions and more. Petplan has more experience in the industry which also gives them an advantage because the relationships they have established bring true value to their already great insurance coverage plans.
Petplan makes It easy to receive high-quality insurance coverage for dogs and cats while saving you money in the process. There is no age requirement or limit on Petplan insurance so all of your four-legged animal friends can receive the medical coverage they need without any issues. Petplan offer coverage on illness, accidents, diagnostics, imaging such as MRI and cat scan, exam fees and more for both dogs and cats making them the clear winner.
One of the biggest advantages of Petplan insurance is that coverage which isn’t included in the basic plan is available through optional coverage plans that can be purchased separately. This gives you the ability to customize your pet insurance policy without going through a bunch of paperwork or fees in order to make sure that your pet is protected.
Petplan also has more experience in the industry when compared to other pet insurance companies making the credibility much more believable. Petplan is ran by real pet owners so you can rest assured that when you contact customer support, you’ll be talking to someone who completely understands your needs. Petplan treats pets like they are humans and provides full coverage for any potentially life-threatening situations that can happen to them.
Petplan saves you money on major surgeries and procedures that would otherwise cost you thousands. Petplan has a mobile app which allows you to easily file insurance claims and get your pet the treatment they need without much tedious work involved. Petplan is the clear winner of this comparison and if you are interested in their coverage options, visit their website to find out more.
Petplan pet insurance is a high-quality pet insurance provider that provides reliable per coverage with the ability to customize coverage options with the click of a button. Petplan is one of the most trusted and long-standing pet insurance providers on the market making their service history and customer support undeniable.
Choose Petplan insurance if you want a full coverage for surgeries, medications, chronic illness, and more for your pet and watch the amazing saving and super service quality that you receive. Petplan insurance is my choice for the best pet insurance and coverage policy on the market.
We highly recommend this insurance company when it comes to keeping your furry friend protected.
Ben Holt is as passionate about writing as he is about our little feline friends.